Expand your Japanese vocabulary and comprehension by getting in the habit of reading short, native content daily. Manabi Reader makes it easy to jump into interesting native reading material without having to worry about your level: just one tap on any word you don’t know to see its reading and definition.
Don’t waste time trying to find engaging reading material—a curated selection of news feeds, online magazines, blogs, even folktales are collected here for you. You can of course also open any webpage in Manabi Reader to help you through it.
Make a habit out of getting your news in Japanese and you’ll find your skills multiply. With even a few minutes each day, reading is essential to picking up Japanese. Memory is one of those things where it sticks best when you’re having fun, so dive in!
- Read native texts.
- One-tap word lookups (with audio!).
- Word tracking: you’ll see how much of an article’s vocabulary is already familiar. New words are highlighted for you.
- Kanji tracking: we’ll also track the kanji you’re familiar with as you read articles. Check your progress within JLPT levels.
- One-tap flashcard creation: memorize the words you look up.
- Review flashcards from an article once you’re done reading it.
- Automatic furigana.
- BYOC (bring your own content) via URL or copy/paste; or, choose from our curated selection of reading materials.
- Reddit category with aggregated Japanese articles and discussions.
- 3rd-party dictionary apps are supported.
The core app is fully functional without payment. Word tracking behaviors are limited to a subset as a preview. The companion Manabi flashcard app is limited to 10 flashcard reviews per day. Full word tracking functionality as well as unlimited flashcard reviews in the companion app may be purchased as a subscription.